Thursday, June 22, 2006


Spencer Keen asked me how I paint chainmail, so here goes:

Black undercoat

I then mix a very dark combination of GW Bolt gun metal and Chaos Black which goes liberally over the required area, don't worry too much about getting it in between the raised chain links.

I use a relatively flat brush for this next stage which is a little
like dry brushing, but what I do is use Bolt gun metal straight from the pot, nice and thick. Load up the brush and wipe off as per usual for dry brushing but then drag one way, usually against a grain if you can find one. For chainmail this is usually top - bottom (ie where the light is coming from) but never across the figure as this tends to give too much coverage of the highlights.
Repeat on the extreme highlights with Foundy Spearpoint.

For chainmail I find intermediate shades tend to blend too much
without effect.

For plate armour I would recommend intermediate shades.

I like Bolt gun metal as it is usually quite thick and gives good
coverage. I use the same method for Musket barrels, as I like the
contrast between the dark basecoat and the extreme highlights.

No comments: