Friday, June 23, 2006

Varnish

I have had several queries about the type of varnish I use, so hope this answers all of them!
Figures are first given a coat of Humbrol Gloss, slightly thinned with white spirit to make the paint flow a little easier.
I then use Daler Rowney Cryla Soluble Matt Varnish. This stuff is great and dries as flat as a pancake. I have used the infamous Blackfriar method and can honestly say that the Daler Rowney is as good, with a lot less hassle. Also, using the Blackfriar gave me terrible headaches, which was not good.

Using the Daler Rowney

Use two coats, each slightly thinned with white spirit. Remember to give the bottle a really good stir to make sure the matting agent is effective, then give it a really good shake. Every time I finish a painting session, I pick up the bottle and give it a shake. You must keep the matting agent flowing, or it will settle, which causes streaks and is very bad.
A good tip for all varnishing is to use a square tipped brush. Now, a lot of people skimp on brushes for varnishing, but it is worth while spending some cash. I use a Winsor&Newton Cirrus square tipped, it cost about £6, and I only use it for matt varnishing, but it is worth the expense.

No comments: